- Debug logging: instead of logging
errorlocally, send those logs to a centralized place so the stacktrace can be easily viewed in a dedicated web page, regardless where the code is being executed, whether in your dev server or some random node in staging/prod clusters.
- System metrics: things like QPS, latency, availability, request counts, etc. These can tell you the system(cluster) health, and not quite related to business logics.
- Business metrics: especially for billing purposes.
- high write availability, and durable record storage
- repeatable total order on those records.
- append-only, cannot modify existing records.
- Record-oriented: data is written into the log in indivisible records, rather than individual bytes.
- Commercial Solutions: Splunk, Sumo Logic
- Open Source Solutions: Kibana
- Facebook LogDevice
- Google Cloud Logging