A namespace wraps a global system resource in an abstraction that makes it appear to the processes within the namespace that they have their own isolated instance of the global resource.
There are 7 namespaces in Linux:
- Cgroup: cgroup = control group. Resource limiting, prioritization, accounting and control.
- IPC: Inter-process Communication
- Network: Network devices, ports, etc.
- Mount: Mount points (of file systems)
- PID: Process IDs
- User: User and group IDs
- UTS: UNIX Timesharing System, named after the data structure used to store info returned by
unamesystem call. Isolates hostname and NIS domain name.