Some key points:
- GNU is a recursive acronym for "GNU's Not Unix!"
- GNU's design is Unix-like, but differs from Unix by being free software and containing no Unix code.
- the "free software" concept originated from the GNU project.
- Most of GNU is licensed under the General Public License (GPL).
Read more: Bash
The GNU C Library.
- statically linking
glibchas license implications.
muslare sanitizer unfriendly. alternative: LLVM libc: https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/tree/main/libc
Read more: C++ - Build
The GNU Core Utilities or
coreutils is a package of GNU software containing implementations for many of the basic tools, such as
$ brew install coreutils ed findutils gawk gnu-sed gnu-tar grep make
A portable debugger.
A set of programming tools for creating and managing binary programs, object files, libraries, profile data, and assembly source code.
Read more: Linux - Desktop Environment
A free and open-source raster graphics editor.
- coreutils: [, b2sum, base32, base64, basename, basenc, cat, chcon, chgrp, chmod, chown, chroot, cksum, comm, cp, csplit, cut, date, dd, df, dir, dircolors, dirname, du, echo, env, expand, expr, factor, false, fmt, fold, groups, head, hostid, id, install, join, kill, link, ln, logname, ls, md5sum, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod, mktemp, mv, nice, nl, nohup, nproc, numfmt, od, paste, pathchk, pinky, pr, printenv, printf, ptx, pwd, readlink, realpath, rm, rmdir, runcon, seq, sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, sha512sum, shred, shuf, sleep, sort, split, stat, stdbuf, stty, sum, sync, tac, tail, tee, test, timeout, touch, tr, true, truncate, tsort, tty, uname, unexpand, uniq, unlink, uptime, users, vdir, wc, who, whoami, yes
- ed: ed, red
- gawk: awk
- grep: egrep, fgrep, grep
- gnu-sed: sed
- gnu-tar: tar
- make: make
- findutils: find, locate, updatedb, xargs