Systems: groups of components that cooperate to perform some function.
Phone as a Modem.
- HCL fully compatible with JSON, JSON can be used as completely valid input to a system expecting HCL
- another format: HOCON
bootstrapping usually refers to a self-starting process that is supposed to proceed without external input. get (oneself or something) into or out of a situation using existing resources.
A modal window is a child window that disables parent window
Progressive Disclosure is a concept in User Interface Design which advocates only presenting to the user the information they need when they need it.
- John Nash: A Beautiful Mind
- minimax search with alpha-beta pruning: discrete state space, perfect information, turn-based game like chess and checkers
- expectimax optimization
- Algorithmic game theory:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmic_game_theory
NUMA architecture: it takes a different amount of time to access different parts of memory, i.e. memories are not created equal: some are local and some are remote. Each processor has a local memory with low latency and high bandwidth, while remote memory is slower to access.
the property of certain operations in mathematics and computer science, that can be applied multiple times without changing the result beyond the initial application. e.g. HTTP
hypertext = text + hyperlinks + others
Hypertext Application Language: HAL
- terabyte (TB): 10^12 or 1,000,000,000,000 bytes
- tebibyte (TiB)： 2^40 or 1,099,511,627,776 bytes, roughly 1TiB = 1.1TB
principle of least knowledge
also called the first-digit law, is an observation about the frequency distribution of leading digits in many real-life sets of numerical data. The law states that in many naturally occurring collections of numbers, the leading significant digit is likely to be small.
Any organization that designs a system (defined broadly) will produce a design whose structure is a copy of the organization's communication structure
- Memory: volatile, byte-addressable
- SSD: persistent, block-addressable