Serverless or Function as a Service (FaaS) describes the idea that the deployment unit is a single function. A function takes input and returns output.
- Function are the unit of deployment and scaling.
- No machines, VMs, or containers visible in the programming model.
- Permanent storage lives elsewhere.
- Scales per request; Users cannot over- or under-provision capacity.
- Never pay for idle (no cold servers/containers or their costs).
- Implicitly fault-tolerant because functions can run anywhere.
- BYOC - Bring Your Own Code.
- Metrics and logging are a universal right.
- AWS Lambda
- Google Cloud Functions
- Knative: open source, based on Kubernetes
Kubernetes-based platform to deploy and manage modern serverless workloads.
Serverless users are afraid of vendor lock-in, so Knative is created to make serverless standardized and portable.
Google Cloud Run is a re-implementation of the same Knative Serving API.
- Why invest in backend developers when your customers don’t care?https://serverless.com/ https://read.acloud.guru/why-do-you-care-so-much-about-your-backend-when-your-customers-dont-81f4e6433593