Market share: Chrome > Safari > Edge > Firefox
Browser Engines / Layout Engines / Render Engines
To transform HTMLs and other resources into an interactive visual representation on a user's device.
- Blink: used by Chrome, forked from WebKit's WebCore component.
- WebKit: used by Safari, forked from KHTML
- Gecko: used by Firefox
- KHTML: from KDE. Not active.
- V8: used by Chrome, Node.js and Deno.
- Spider Monkey: used by Firefox.
Sent from a website and stored on the user's computer by the user's web browser. Designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember stateful information, or to record the user's browsing activity.
Web servers can know whether the user is logged in or not, and which account they are logged in with.
Same Origin Policy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-origin_policy: a web browser permits scripts contained in a first web page to access data in a second web page, but only if both web pages have the same origin.
To enable cross origin: CORS