Distributed System Design Interview Questions
What To Expect In System Design Interviews
- Concurrency. Do you understand threads, deadlock, and starvation? Do you know how to parallelize algorithms? Do you understand consistency and coherence?
- Networking. Do you roughly understand IPC and TCP/IP? Do you know the difference between throughput and latency, and when each is the relevant factor?
- Abstraction. You should understand the systems you’re building upon. Do you know roughly how an OS, file system, and database work? Do you know about the various levels of caching in a modern OS?
- Real-World Performance. You should be familiar with the speed of everything your computer can do, including the relative performance of RAM, disk, SSD and your network.
- Estimation. Estimation, especially in the form of a back-of-the-envelope calculation, is important because it helps you narrow down the list of possible solutions to only the ones that are feasible. Then you have only a few prototypes or micro-benchmarks to write.
- Availability and Reliability. Are you thinking about how things can fail, especially in a distributed environment? Do know how to design a system to cope with network failures? Do you understand durability?
the most fundamental questions, could be the building block for other questions.
- top k: top k requests or videos or music
- typeahead: could be google search, could be facebook friend search, different optimizations
- search engine(status search)
- load balancer
- live comment/twitter feed/facebook feed
- distributed unique ID service
- design data model
Design a tinyurl system
- System Design for Big Data-tinyurl
Design a CDN network
Design a Google document system
Design a random ID generation system
Design a key-value database
Design the Facebook news feed function
- What are best practices for building something like a News Feed?
- What are the scaling issues to keep in mind while developing a social network feed?
- Activity Feeds Architecture
Design the Facebook timeline function
Design a function to return the top k requests during past time interval
- Efficient Computation of Frequent and Top-k Elements in Data Streams
- An Optimal Strategy for Monitoring Top-k Queries in Streaming Windows
Design an online multiplayer card game
- How to Create an Asynchronous Multiplayer Game
- How to Create an Asynchronous Multiplayer Game Part 2: Saving the Game State to Online Database
- How to Create an Asynchronous Multiplayer Game Part 3: Loading Games from the Database
- How to Create an Asynchronous Multiplayer Game Part 4: Matchmaking
- Real Time Multiplayer in HTML5
Design a graph search function
- Building out the infrastructure for Graph Search
- Indexing and ranking in Graph Search
- The natural language interface of Graph Search and Erlang at Facebook
Design a picture sharing system
Design a search engine
Design a recommendition system
Design a garbage collection system
Design a scalable web crawling system
Design the chat function
Design a trending topic system
- Implementing Real-Time Trending Topics With a Distributed Rolling Count Algorithm in Storm
- Early detection of Twitter trends explained
Design a cache system
- How would you design the feature in LinkedIn where it computes how many hops there are between you and another person?
- If you were to design a web platform for online chess games, how would you do that?
- Design an ID allocator which can allocate and de-allocate from a range of 1-1,000,000
- Design and implement a web crawler(single and multi-threaded)
The most straight forward way
Long value; value++
- Thread-safe? -No.
AtomicLong / addAndGet()
- Thread-safe? -Safe
Network failure? -Not safe
- Double increments: receiver received increment request, performed increment; sender got timeout or network failure, resend the request
Use a streaming solution like Spark Streaming: store counts in an RDD that can be incremented in a reduce process.
Grokking the System Design Interview https://www.educative.io/collection/5668639101419520/5649050225344512 https://www.interviewbit.com/problems/search-typeahead/ type ahead: https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook-engineering/the-life-of-a-typeahead-query/389105248919/