Tech Stacks - CDN
Last Updated: 2022-02-05
Benefit: removing all single points of failure, closer to user， faster round trip, less crowded
Types of Content
- static content: html, pdf, images
- steaming media: live or on-demand media
- dynamic content: assembles dynamic content on edge servers. ESI(Edge Side Includes) is similar to server-side include languages, but adds fault-tolerance features (for when the origin server is unavailable) Using ESI lets a content provider break a dynamic page into fragments with independent cacheability properties. ESI reduced bandwidth requirements for dynamic content by 95 to 99 percent.
- Akamai: 15 and 30 percent of all web traffic, many large companies are using Akamai.
- CloudFlare: handles ~10% of web traffic including 7% of the million most popular websites. Cheaper; can start with the free plan.
- AWS CloudFront: if you use AWS.