DQL vs DDL vs DCL vs DML
Last Updated: 2022-03-21
SQL consists of many types of statements, they may be informally classed as sublanguages:
- Data Manipulation Language (DML)
- DML is about content, data, "rows"
- Data definition or data description language (DDL)
- DDL is about table, index, schema, metadata, "columns"
- data control language (DCL)
- DCL is about authorization, it controls access to data stored in a database.
- Data query language (DQL)
- DQL is used for performing queries on the data within schema objects.